The '70s didn't start in -- they started sometime around The tracks on our list of the Top 10 Songs of sound like they're products of the decade and not leftovers from the previous one. After the turbulent '60s -- the wars, the assassinations, the drugs, the sexual revolution and music's expanded playing field -- the '70s were kinda like a hangover, a bittersweet but not entirely clear reflection of what just happened. Artists began settling into grooves, and the songs that came out in , for the first time, took on their own identities, not just borrowed ones from another era.
'Hello It's Me'Todd Rundgren
Rundgren originally recorded 'Hello It's Me' with his group Nazz in On his third solo album, the excellent double LP 'Something/Anything?,' he reworked the ballad as a more soulful and upbeat number that became the centerpiece of the record and Rundgren's only Top 10 hit. The solo version is way better than the original band take, which was also released as a single.
'Do It Again'Steely Dan
Steely Dan's debut single turned the page on all of the lazily played psychedelic rock that album-oriented bands were churning out just a couple of years earlier. Consisting of musicians who had some serious jazz skills, Steely Dan didn't sound much like any other new groups in They were smart, studied, literate and disciplined. 'Do It Again' was one of their smoothest-sounding cuts, all rounded edges with a milky center.
'Smoke on the Water'Deep Purple
It includes one of the greatest guitar riffs of all time and a true story about a fire that delayed the recording of Deep Purple's sixth and bestselling album. But more than that, 'Smoke on the Water' is probably the most popular song attempted by first-time guitarists. Its opening chords have launched many young bands back in the day, and they still ring loud and clear today.
'You Wear It Well'Rod Stewart
'Every Picture Tells a Story' was such a huge hit for Stewart in (both the album and the song 'Maggie May' hit No. 1) that the singer and his band, including members of the Faces, repeated the formula for the followup LP, 'Never a Dull Moment.' 'You Wear It Well' is a delayed love letter to an ex, filled with a little regret and a whole lotta awesome, starting with that violin solo.
'Rocket Man'Elton John
Like David Bowie's 'Space Oddity,' 'Rocket Man' uses an outer-space analogy to voice the singer's growing isolation from family and friends. But unlike Bowie's song, the narrator of John's Top 10 hit (co-written by Bernie Taupin) doesn't sound entirely hopeless. It helps that John's warm performance injects some humanity into his lost spaceman.
'All the Young Dudes'Mott the Hoople
Before David Bowie gave them 'All the Young Dudes,' Mott the Hoople were a lumbering hard-rock band on the verge of splitting up. But the glam anthem transformed the group and gave them a second life, extending their career for a couple more years. After 'Dudes,' Mott the Hoople were revered as glam gods, all thanks to producer Bowie, who was having a very good year (see No. 3 on our list of the Top 10 Songs of ).
'School's Out'Alice Cooper
Alice Cooper was 24 years old when his timeless anthem about the last day of school was released. It immediately connected with teens across the country, hitting the Top And no wonder: Cooper's sinister excitement surges through the song. Plus, it includes one of the most inspired verses in rock history: "We got no class / And we got no principles / And we got no innocence / We can't even think of a word that rhymes." Brilliant.
'Ziggy Stardust'David Bowie
Bowie's reinvention from a tepid British folk-pop singer to a glam superstar began in , with the 'Hunky Dory' album. But it's on 'The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars,' a concept record about a rock 'n' roll savior from another planet, where the transformation takes hold (Bowie essentially became the character for the next couple of years). 'Ziggy Stardust' is the album's guitar-powered centerpiece, a summation of sorts of the LP's trippy narrative.
'Heart of Gold'Neil Young
Neil Young's only No. 1 single (only Top 10, in fact) from his only No. 1 album ('Harvest') was inspired by both a back injury and a trip to Nashville, where he recorded a handful of new acoustic songs with some local musicians. Unable to play an electric guitar, Young unplugged and wrote some stripped-down country-leaning songs. The success of both the song and album eventually prompted Young to switch musical gears from time to time -- a practice he continues to this day.
'Tumbling Dice'The Rolling Stones
Little surprise that the best album of yields the No. 1 track on our list of the Top 10 Songs of It was a pivotal year for the Stones, whose last three albums made them the biggest and best band on the planet. 'Exile on Main St.,' a troubled double record mired in druggy production and even more druggy group members, was their masterpiece. 'Tumbling Dice' is the album's most accessible cut, a bluesy shuffle spiked with a side of twang. It remains one of the Stones' most enduring songs and the gateway to one of the best albums ever made.
Greatest Songs From
Papa Was A Rollin' Stone
Smoke On The Water
Lean On Me
Heart Of Gold
Walk On The Wild Side
You Are The Sunshine Of My Life
If You Don't Know Me By Now
Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes
I'll Take You There
You're So Vain
Take It Easy
I'll Be Around
Reeling In The Years
All The Young Dudes
Mott the Hoople
The Harder They Come
I Can See Clearly Now
I'm Still In Love With You
Listen to the Music
Alone Again (Naturally)
Stuck In The Middle With You
I Saw The Light
Rock And Roll, Part 2
Me and Mrs. Jones
Go All The Way
Do It Again
Love And Happiness
Hello It's Me
Time In A Bottle
Could It Be I'm Falling In Love
Seals and Crofts
Saturday In The Park
Everything I Own
Edgar Winter Group
(If Loving You Is Wrong) I Don't Wanna Be Right
Why Can't We Live Together
Rocky Mountain High
Me And Julio Down By The Schoolyard
Across th Street
How Can You Mend a Broken Heart
It Never Rains in Southern California
Doctor My Eyes
You Wear It Well
Dancing In The Moonlight
The Cisco Kid
Neither One of Us
Gladys Knight and the Pips
Whiskey In the Jar
Ain't No Woman
The Guitar Man
Break Up To Make Up
Peaceful Easy Feeling
Mother and Child Reunion
The Jean Genie
Too Late To Turn Back Now
Cornelius Brothers & Sister Rose
Edgar Winter Group
I Am Woman
Children Of the Revolution
Pure Prairie League
Get On The Good Foot
Look What You Done For Me
Everybody Plays The Fool
Always on My Mind
I'm Stone In Love With You
I'd Love You To Want Me
Top Of The World
The Needle and the Damage Done
Your Mama Don't Dance
Kenny Loggins and Jim Messina
Song Sung Blue
The Cover of Rolling Stone
Dr. Hook and the Medicine Show
The World Is A Ghetto
You Ought To Be With Me
20 more worth mentioning.
City of New Orleans
Allman Brothers Band
Will It Go Round In Circles
Rock And Roll Lullaby
America The Beautiful
Hi, Hi, Hi
Starting All Over Again
Mel and Tim
You Don't Mess Around With Jim
Thick As A Brick
Walking In The Rain With The One I Love
I'm Just A Singer (In A Rock & Roll Band)
Nice To Be With You
Jimmy Castor Bunch
DigitalDreamDoor Editor Picks for
Brian's Choice: An unheralded great record from
Crosby & Nash
I Don't Know
Watch The Sunrise
List of Billboard Hot number ones of
These are the BillboardHot number-one singles of
That year, 18 acts earned their first number one song, such as Don McLean, Al Green, Nilsson, Neil Young, America, Roberta Flack, The Chi-Lites, The Staple Singers, Sammy Davis Jr., Bill Withers, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Looking Glass, Mac Davis, Chuck Berry, Johnny Nash, Helen Reddy, and Billy Paul. Michael Jackson, having previously hit number one with The Jackson 5, also earns his first number one song as a solo act.
|Indicates number-one single of|
- ^"January 1, ". Billboard Hot .
- ^"January 8, ". Billboard Hot .
- ^"January 15, ". Billboard Hot .
- ^"January 22, ". Billboard Hot .
- ^"January 29, ". Billboard Hot .
- ^"February 5, ". Billboard Hot .
- ^"February 12, ". Billboard Hot .
- ^"February 19, ". Billboard Hot .
- ^"February 26, ". Billboard Hot .
- ^"March 4, ". Billboard Hot .
- ^"March 11, ". Billboard Hot .
- ^"March 18, ". Billboard Hot .
- ^"March 25, ". Billboard Hot .
- ^"April 1, ". Billboard Hot .
- ^"April 8, ". Billboard Hot .
- ^"April 15, ". Billboard Hot .
- ^"April 22, ". Billboard Hot .
- ^"April 29, ". Billboard Hot .
- ^"May 6, ". Billboard Hot .
- ^"May 13, ". Billboard Hot .
- ^"May 20, ". Billboard Hot .
- ^"May 27, ". Billboard Hot .
- ^"June 3, ". Billboard Hot .
- ^"June 10, ". Billboard Hot .
- ^"June 17, ". Billboard Hot .
- ^"June 24, ". Billboard Hot .
- ^"July 1, ". Billboard Hot .
- ^"July 8, ". Billboard Hot .
- ^"July 15, ". Billboard Hot .
- ^"July 22, ". Billboard Hot .
- ^"July 29, ". Billboard Hot .
- ^"August 5, ". Billboard Hot .
- ^"August 12, ". Billboard Hot .
- ^"August 19, ". Billboard Hot .
- ^"August 26, ". Billboard Hot .
- ^"September 2, ". Billboard Hot .
- ^"September 9, ". Billboard Hot .
- ^"September 16, ". Billboard Hot .
- ^"September 23, ". Billboard Hot .
- ^"September 30, ". Billboard Hot .
- ^"October 7, ". Billboard Hot .
- ^"October 14, ". Billboard Hot .
- ^"October 21, ". Billboard Hot .
- ^"October 28, ". Billboard Hot .
- ^"November 4, ". Billboard Hot .
- ^"November 11, ". Billboard Hot .
- ^"November 18, ". Billboard Hot .
- ^"November 25, ". Billboard Hot .
- ^"December 2, ". Billboard Hot .
- ^"December 9, ". Billboard Hot .
- ^"December 16, ". Billboard Hot .
- ^"December 23, ". Billboard Hot .
- ^"December 30, ". Billboard Hot .
Popular song 1972 most in
Beautiful. But she has a black heart full of poison. She's a pretender and a liar.Top Pop Songs USA 1972
Just two mummies. Cornflower, emboldened, pawed them for all the places of interest to him. The women giggled stupidly, a little embarrassed at each other, but each tried to draw attention to themselves. After eating, we moved to the bed. Nobody was in a hurry today.
You will also like:
- Condos for sale east wenatchee
- Printable oscar ballot 2019
- Camping merit badge workbook
- Weekend rotation schedule template
- Trash service dalton, ga
- Subaru forester door replacement cost
- 2013 jeep patriot transmission fluid
- How to get menagerie armor
- Smadav antivirus 2021 free download
- Csgo to valorant zoom sensitivity
- Pictures of the galaxy skin
- Mensaje cristiano para alguien especial
- Mazdaspeed 3 valve cover gasket
You don't want to die so shamefully, do you. Katya sneered. Then she came up to me, and pushed so that I was on the priest, and then stepped over me, and my head was between her.